This month I chose to make this summertime cake for the Cake Slice Bakers. I am of few words today, which is fitting because this lovely cake that needs little embellishment. Be sure to check out the creations of all the Cake Slice Bakers here:
The recipe is below – just keep scrolling (and drooling!) through these gorgeous peaches.
Olive Oil Cake with Peaches
Author: The Ruby Kitchen
Adapted from: World Class Cakes by Roger Pizey
Notes: Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream, if desired.
2 Tbsp. finely grated orange zest
1½ cups superfine sugar (granulated)
½ cup olive oil
1/3 cup whole milk
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 cup self-rising flour, sifted
2 peaches, sliced
¼ cup peach or apricot jam, warmed and strained
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 inch spring form pan.
2. Beat together well the eggs, zest, and sugar.
3. Add in the oil and the milk, alternating these wet ingredients with the sifted flours until well combined.
4. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven, for 10 minutes.
5. Carefully remove the cake from the oven and gently place the peach slices on the surface of the cake.
6. Return the cake to the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then carefully turn out onto a wire rack.
8. While the cake is still warm, brush liberally with the warmed jam for a glossy finish.