Oh my gosh I cannot believe that it is already time for another cake for the Cake Slice Bakers group! We are a group of bakers who are currently baking from Maida Heatter’s Cakes. This months choices were a Sand Torte, Jelly Roll, Oreo Cookie Cake and Blueberry Muffins. Last month I chose to make my first ever Bundt cake and I was thrilled with how it turned out. I debated this month if I should do another one so soon but I couldn’t resist the pull of cookies and cream!
The past few weeks have been a total whirlwind for me. June has been totally packed with celebrations and general craziness. We welcomed my best friend’s baby into the world at the beginning of June, my “adopted” brother and one of my oldest friends was married and my husband and I have been going to training sessions with our oldest dog, Sawyer. He has been there four weeks and we are so excited we get to bring him home tonight! On top of work and house projects it has been a nutty month but I have enjoyed it. So while I have been dropping the ball on sharing recipes with you all it has at least been for good reasons and I am totally okay with that…and hope you are too. :)
Needless to say, I’m keeping this post short and sweet. I will tell you however that I missed a few spots when buttering the Bundt pan and out it crashed with massive chunks missing. I was devastated and amused at the same time but I had to laugh it off. Pictures are definitely lacking because of my little incident but I at least was able to drizzle the glaze over part of the cake.
Don’t forget to check our all of the June selections from the Cake Slice Bakers!
Cookies & Cream Cake
Author: The Ruby Kitchen
Adapted from “Cakes” by Maida Heatter
Ingredients for Cake
15 Oreo cookies
2¾ cups all-purpose flour, sifted
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
8 oz. unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract
1½ cups sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream
Ingredients for Glaze
6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp. butter
1 Tbsp. heavy whipping cream
Oreo’s for decoration, optional
1. Adjust oven rack one-third up from the bottom of oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter a 10-inch (12-14 cup capacity) Bundt pan and dust with flour.
2. With a sharp knife, chop the Oreo’s into quarters and set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
4. In a large bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter until soft. Add the vanilla, almond extract and sugar and beat to mix well.
5. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. On low speed add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the sour cream. Scrape the bowl down as needed.
7. Spoon about 1.5 cups of the mixture into the bottom of the pan. Smooth and make a shallow trench.
8. Gently fold the Oreo’s to the remaining batter and add to Bundt pan. Smooth the top.
9. Bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the pan before inverting it onto a cooling rack. Let it completely cool before adding the glaze.
10. To make glaze, melt the chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler, whisking until smooth.
11. Carefully pour over the top of the Bundt cake and allow it to drip over the sides. Top with sprinkles and let the glaze harden for about 30 minutes.
12. Store and serve at room temperature.