Something strangely magical happened the other day. It was so serendipitous in fact that I grabbed my camera and snapped a few photos so I could share it with you. I was making chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting for my mother in-law’s birthday and experimenting with my recipe. She loves peanut butter so I wanted it to be super creamy and irresistible. I played with the ratios a bit and it happened – perfect peanut butter bliss.
I was so happy with how it turned out I decided I needed to share it with you all so I snapped a few pictures. I also recently found out that National Peanut Butter day is March 1st so you’ll be able to make this in celebration! The directions are written for using a stand mixer, so if you use a hand-held electric mixer just increase the times by 1-2 minutes.
Perfect Peanut Butter Buttercream
Makes enough to generously frost 12 cupcakes.
1.5 c butter, at room temperature
2 c smooth peanut butter
3 c powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a stand mixer, whisk butter for 5 minutes on the highest setting until it is very pale and creamy.
- Whisk in peanut butter for 2 minutes at medium speed.
- At low speed, whisk in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until it is combined.
- Increase speed to high and whip for 3-5 minutes until the buttercream is no longer gritty.
- To frost the cupcakes pictured the tip I used was Bakery Crafts 8CS which I believe is the same at Ateco #848. It is a jumbo closed star tip. To frost, begin in the middle of the cupcake and work out and then back in as you move up.
- I store this frosting at room temperature up to 4 days.
oh Jo!!!!! I will have to try this!
Please do and let us know how it turns out!
i no longer have the whisk for my mixers can i use the beeters
Yes, you should be able to.
What is 1.5 c of butter
That is one and a half cups of butter, or the equivalent of three standard sticks of butter.
It’s looks so Yummy…!!! Love it.
Do you use regular PB, like JIF or Skippy, or do you use natural peanut butter? Would it make a difference in texture?
I use regular peanut butter for frosting. I find that most natural peanut butter is not as smooth.
Thanks! Can’t wait to try it this weekend!
Ridiculously delicious frosting!!! Our daughter wanted a peanut butter cup birthday cake so I used this recipe. EVERYONE at the party loved it. This is a keeper for sure.
I just made this frosting today!! OMG ITS SO CREAMY AND DELICIOUS. It is now my go to peanut butter frosting recipe. I doubled it and frosted 58 chocolate cupcakes. It is so yummy.
I just made this frosting today!! OMG ITS SO CREAMY AND DELICIOUS. It is now my go to peanut butter frosting recipe. I doubled it and frosted 58 chocolate cupcakes. It is so yummy. Thank you so much for sharing!
Looks amazingly good I love peanut butter
Peanut butter icing is my all time favorite. I’ve been making it for years. Today I decided to branch out and try a new recipe. O M G!!!This recipe is the absolute, hands down, best icing EVER!! I’m totally blown away!