Happy October! I decided because it is October 1st I am allowed to share something in the Halloween realm and these decedent ghostly brownies are sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face.
I am also excited to share the news that I finally started a Facebook page. Head on over there to like my page and keep up to date on great recipes and more. If Facebook is not your cup of tea I am also on Pinterest and Instagram so be sure check out those too.
Okay, it is time to dive into these brownies. Homemade brownies are not my thing. I am terrible at them. So instead of grabbing my usual favorite boxed variety I decided to give this homemade mix a try from Amanda at I am baker. I am so glad I did because for the first time in my life homemade brownies actually turned out well. They also did not end up in the garbage. Again.
I love chunks in brownies so I added chocolate chips. I also used a small amount of espresso powder and dark cocoa powder to give them an even deeper chocolate flavor.
I saw the idea to use Peeps on top of cupcakes on Pinterest around Easter and I never got around to making them. So when I saw Peeps on cupcakes come up again I knew I had to do something fun with them. A funny thing happened when I began to brown the ghostly peeps. I put them under the broiler and knelt down in front of the oven to watch them with the door open. Ten seconds in I realized the little ghostly faces were disappearing.
Of course I had a brief panic moment but once I realized it was inevitable I went into salvage mode. I melted some chocolate and dotted the eyes and mouths onto each one once they cooled slightly. I think they turned out really cute.
The vanilla graham cracker crust really makes these s’more brownies so much more flavorful. Combined with the puffy sweet peeps they are the perfect s’more alternative. If you are one of the people who do not like Peeps you can certainly make homemade marshmallows and cut them into ghosts. Or you could just use regular marshmallows. Whatever you prefer definitely give these a try.
Clearly, they did not last long.
Vanilla Graham Crust:
9 graham crackers, crushed
¼ c melted butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup dark cocoa powder
½ cup flour
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp baking powder
½ cup melted butter
1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup chocolate chips
Ghost Peeps Topping:
12 Ghost shaped Peeps marshmallows (or marshmallows of your choice)
¼ cup chocolate chips
½ tsp butter
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
For the crust:
- Combine melted butter and vanilla
- Add crushed graham crackers and mix thoroughly
- Press mixture into a 8×8 baking dish lined with parchment paper
- Bake 8-10 minutes and remove from oven
For the brownies:
- Combine melted butter, eggs, espresso powder and vanilla in a bowl
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, flour, salt and baking powder and mix gently
- Fold in chocolate chips
- Pour on top of graham cracker crust and bake 20-22 minutes
- Remove from oven
For the Ghost Peeps Topping:
- Turn oven onto broil
- Top brownies with marshmallows and place in oven
- Keep the door open and watch until marshmallows are browned. It really only takes a few seconds so watch them closely!
- Combine chocolate and butter and microwave 30-45 seconds until melted
- Add chocolate to a sandwich bag and cut a small corner off
- Pipe eyes and mouths onto ghosts